Seussian Procedural Tree Creator
Submission for PROCJAM.
Dusting off an old prototype which procedurally generates non-realistic / fantasy / alien trees. For this demo I created a UI interface to allow control of the generation parameters. Be warned - the algorithm is still a work in progress and consequently some parameters may have no effect (though I tried to remove anything redundant) and some may cause very strange behaviour!
The style is inspired by vintage sci-fi artwork and Dr Seuss illustrations. Planning to improve on it for the duration of the jam.
- Use the control panel on the right to change the tree generation parameters.
- A seed can be entered in the top text box or random seeds can be generated.
- The Live Update option refreshes the mesh whenever a parameter is changed.
- Click-Drag to orbit and zoom
- Scroll mouse to adjust camera height
- Demo can be played in the browser or downloaded for Windows or Mac
- Windows/Mac downloads: simply download and extract the zip file, then run the .exe file (Windows) or .app file (Mac).
Everything is procedural.
The tree branches are generated using a recursive algorithm, which uses Unity's Mesh class to build the geometry vertex by vertex, polygon by polygon.
The tree texture is generated using layers of algorithmic patterns.
The leaves are flat polygons with a cutout shader applied. Bezier curves with random control point positions are used to generate the leaf textures.
The terrain is also generated procedurally. This implementation uses Perlin Noise for that smooth rolling hill effect.
Click download now to get access to the following files:
Leave a comment
Log in with your itch.io account to leave a comment.